9.12.2010

Yesterday, I volunteered at a Native village in Stanley Park. I went with my landlord, who is Punjabi, and some of her co-workers, who are from Sri Lanka and the Philippines. After learning about Native culture and eating Native food, we went to a predominantly Chinese area of town to shop for seafood. Later that night, my landlord and I played Scrabble (she beat me in the second game). Today I went to an Iranian church with a Canadian friend, then went to a Filipino area of town and ate dinner at a Ugandan restaurant. From there, I got on the SkyTrain and had a conversation with a Czech woman (who shared her testimony of meeting God in a dentist's office and just blessed my socks off), got off the SkyTrain and ran into some other Iranian friends, who informed me at the end of our time together that my goodbye gesture is highly reminiscent of Ayatollah Khomeini.

If you had asked me, when I was younger (or even this time last year) what I thought my life might be like, I would never have expected it to be like this. I am endlessly in awe of God's creativity in putting my life together. I am constantly amazed just to be here, and I really wouldn't be anywhere else.

Praises
  • We saw grace in action at the Iranian church today, with intentional restoration of a church member. It was very sweet and moving to watch the body do what it's supposed to do.
  • Praise the Lord for working in and around us all the time. Hearing that Czech lady's testimony tonight brought tears to my eyes; I so needed to hear that.
Prayer requests
  • Tomorrow I'm heading to a friend's devotional evening, where she wants us to bring in something that inspires us and be prepared to talk about it. Please pray for wisdom for me in what to bring in. I want to bring something genuine but also evangelistic.
  • Most of my evenings this week are busy, but I have three days that are fairly relaxed. I need wisdom in how to use this time and where to go with it.
  • I was thinking yesterday about how my relationships are going here. It came to me strongly that, a lot of what I do, I do because I really just want people to like me and be happy with me. There is nothing wrong with this attitude in moderation, but often I fail to say what I need to say to people because I don't want them to think I'm judging them or trying to argue with them. Please continue to pray for boldness for me.
  • I believe one of the ladies from the church and I are going to get a women's Bible study going. Please pray that God will open the door for this.
  • Please continue to pray for my landlord.
Thank you guys!
-Jennifer

2 comments:

Iva May said...

Love you, Jen, and am praying for you!!

Anonymous said...

Can't figure out how to leave a comment with so many confusing options. Love you and am praying for you!