8.28.2010

Close Encounter, Type 3E

According to Wikipedia, font of knowledge, there are three basic types of close encounters with otherworldly entities. The first involves the sighting of an unidentified flying object; the second involves some sort of physical effect (such as crop circles, memory loss, frightened animals, etc.), and the third involves observation of some sort of "animate beings." The third kind of encounter can take several shapes, including: "E: An entity is observed. But no UFOs are seen and no UFO activity has been reported in the area at that time."

I believe I had a 3E close encounter this evening, courtesy of the transit system. His name is Mohammed, and he is from Bangladesh. He is also seriously confused. This is my third time running into him on the bus, and from now on I will steadily avoid being anywhere near Surrey Central from 9-10 PM. Tonight Mohammed decided that I have stolen his heart and must therefore get coffee with him if I do not find a boyfriend in the next six to seven months. He just wants me to be the mother of his child. I told him I'm not interested, a couple of times in a couple of different ways, but he was still protesting his interest as I stepped off the bus. Where's a mothership when you need one?

Just so my mom and dad know, this does not happen frequently. I don't look for it, I promise. And I'm staying out of danger! I love you!

In other news, I have had some really encouraging times in the last few weeks, and I'm still deeply thankful for the people with whom God has put me into contact. A big shout out goes to my sisters Karlena and Veronica, who have been an incredible Godsend and have become great friends and prayer partners, and to my new friend Alysia, who sees God in the everyday in very creative ways. I am reconnecting with my Iranian friends after several weeks of very sporadic contact, and I feel like a few ideas are coming together. I have had my ups and downs, but I am really enjoying my time here.

Praises
  • There's a lady who comes by the Centre to talk with me every week. She comes from a country that has really repressed religious or spiritual thinking among its populace, and it has been interesting to watch her move from an unwillingness to talk about spiritual things and an opinion that religious people are basically sort of mentally challenged to an openness toward God and a curiosity about spiritual things. I've gotten to share with her a few times, and she's not ready yet, but I believe she's taking steps forward. I got to share with her Tuesday of last week, and I was talking with her this Wednesday about starting a conversation class at the Centre, and she suggested that I tell stories for people to discuss. She told me a story she had heard in one of her previous classes--a story about a guy named Joseph, the favorite son out of lots of brothers, who was sold as a slave but then ended up very powerful. She said stories like that would be good.
  • The Iranian church has found an interim pastor, giving them some sense of stability and forward motion.
  • I was having a rough day yesterday, feeling like I had no idea how to connect with people, and when I was on my way home from getting groceries, I ran into some of my Iranian neighbors, and they walked me home and helped me carry my groceries. They were headed out to their university's Muslim group, which was having a Ramadan meal time. I told them they reminded me of Baptists, since we can't do anything without eating, and they asked me about fasting in Christianity. This led to a brief but good discussion of what Jesus said about fasting and about fasting as hunger toward God. I don't have to be good at anything; I just need to trust God and be where I'm supposed to be; He's got the connections.
Prayer requests
  • I would like to help the Iranian church develop a women's discipleship Bible study, and I would like to help train some of these ladies in leading Bible studies and in evangelistic Bible study. I am praying about contacts. I need a willing lady and a venue (preferably someone's house or apartment) in North or West Van.
  • Please continue to pray for the Iranian church.
  • Please pray for Muslims during Ramadan, that they would truly encounter the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ (II Cor. 4:6).
  • Please pray for wisdom for me in developing goals and objectives. My weeks tend to have strange schedules, and it is difficult to know how to divide my time. Pray for discernment to know what is good and what is best.
Thank you guys so much for praying for me!
-Jennifer

1 comment:

Iva May said...

Hmmmm. Sound like we need to return to VanCity to talk to a certain "Mohammad". Love you!