2.27.2010

All the lonely people/ where do they all belong?


Hello, my lovely friends!
It's been almost two weeks since my last update, and things have been kind of crazy! Here's a quick rundown of life since my last update:
  • I have moved into my apartment and have moved most of the donated furniture and accessories into the places I want them. The only thing I haven't done yet is to move my tupperware stuff into the bottom cabinets because...
  • I was vacuuming my cabinets last Sunday (a Very Hairy Dog used to live here), and I found a bag of weed in one of them. In Canada, weed is semi-legal. If you sell it, you can get into some trouble, but if you smoke it or just have a small amount on you, it's not really a big deal, and there are Free Zones where the use of recreational chemicals is permitted (Dad, if you're reading this, I know I just used a grammatical expletive and a couple of passive voice verbs. I love you.). All that to say, I did not smoke it. I laughed forever, then gave it to my landlord to throw away. Made the garbage guy's day, no doubt. Anyway, the cabinets still smell like weed, even with the help of air fresheners and things. If anyone knows a way to fix that, I would be delighted.
  • I got to see some of the free Olympic stuff two Thursdays ago. The energy, especially in Vancouver proper, is pretty wild. It's one big party all of the time, and it's really, really fun. I got to see the Olympic cauldron and lots of other things. I bought a USA shirt and wore it for the first time in my life because I felt like I needed to represent, and because I'm ornery. If we beat the Canadians for the men's hockey gold, I'll probably need to go underground for a few days.
  • I have started learning Farsi for reals. One of my Iranian friends will be working with me two days a week, teaching me vocabulary and syntax, and last night I met two ladies in an Iranian food store, and I'm going to be meeting one of them every Friday at 1 for a Farsi/English exchange time. She used to be an Arabic/Qur'an teacher in Iran, and she's been in Canada for three years, lives by herself, and has few friends.
I know I mentioned this on Facebook, but Vancouver is a lonely city. Canada is more community-oriented than the States, and slightly less individualistic, but so many of the people here in Vancouver have arrived recently and have few friends. Iranians in particular are slow to make friends and slow to trust other Iranians. My Iranian friends say that this is because they have lived for years in a country with a bad government (and secret police). Needless to say, they are often lonely people.

Praises:
  • Praise God for my new apartment! I am still totally blessed to be here.
  • I am slowly building a relationship with my landlord.
  • The Friendship Centre I work with received its charitable status this week. This means it can now issue receipts for donations and can receive various kinds of support.
  • I am learning a lot about friendship.
  • I have been having some really neat times in the Word.
Prayer requests:
  • God wants to touch lonely people with the gospel. They need to know that God is, and that He loves them and sacrificed His own dear Son so that they could be with Him.
  • Continue to pray for God's provision for the Friendship Centre.
  • Pray for me to have facility in learning Farsi.
  • Pray for continued favor with Iranians and for wisdom in sharing with them.
  • Pray specifically for the woman who will be teaching me Farsi on Fridays.
  • As Lilias Trotter prayed, pray for open doors to share the gospel, open hearts that are ready to hear it, and open windows of heaven for God to pour out His blessings on the ministries that are happening here.
Love you guys! Thank you, thank you, thank you for praying for me.
-Jennifer

1 comment:

Iva May said...

I love you, Jen, including your use of passive voice! Missing you like crazy!