1.07.2012

Occasionally as I read my Bible through I'll run into a book that I just don't like. I'm probably not supposed to say that out loud, but it's true. I like John. I like Nehemiah and Hebrews. I like Genesis a lot. I don't like Revelation. I don't like Job.

Several years ago I was talking with a friend who was pretty crazy about I Chronicles, and I told her I thought it was boring. She challenged me on that, and I'm pretty sure she prayed for me, and when I got to I Chron. in my reading that year, it blew me away. I learned a lesson. When I get to a book that I don't like, I tell God about it, and I ask Him to help me understand it in a way I haven't before.

A couple of weeks ago I was in Revelation and really struggling through it. All of the stuff with the beasts with horns, the woman, the dragon, etc., really bothers me. It isn't clear or easy to understand (actually, it feels impossible to understand, and I kind of resent it). I was mad about ending the year with Revelation and frustrated in the expectation that I wouldn't get anything out of it, and really feeling like God owed me some kind of warm fuzzies because I had gone to the trouble to read the whole book again. I even told some people about my frustrations. Then I hit Revelation 15, and I was blown away by the praise given to God for His justice and His judgments, and I saw that one day God would be completely vindicated for everything He's ever done, because people would see His justice in full, and they would praise Him for it all. I saw that God would fully avenge His people and avenge every wrong ever done them, and His care for His people poured out in His wrath on those who had persecuted and killed them. And I saw Jesus: 
Now I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse. And He who sat on him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness He judges and makes war. His eyes were like a flame of fire, and on His head were many crowns. He had a name written that no one knew except Himself. He was clothed with a robe dipped in blood, and His name is called The Word of God. And the armies in heaven, clothed in fine linen, white and clean, followed Him on white horses. Now out of His mouth goes a sharp sword, that with it He should strike the nations. And He Himself will rule them with a rod of iron. He Himself treads the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God. And He has on His robe and on His thigh a name written: KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS (Rev. 19:11-16).
I can't tell you how beautiful it is to see Him there, judging in righteousness, making war in righteousness. The idea of Jesus as a warrior isn't very popular, but there's something amazing about seeing Him, the Faithful (trustworthy) and True, charging out to do battle for His people. I've had several situations this year in which it has been difficult to see justice, and it was a tremendous comfort and encouragement to see again the promise of the ultimate vindication provided by our God. It's amazing to know that God experiences wrath toward those who hurt His people, and that He takes note and judges.

Dr. Richardson would ask me at this point, "So what's the 'so what', Miss May?" I guess I want to offer encouragement to people who are reading their Bibles and having a hard time of it to ask God for understanding and to keep going. And I want to encourage people for whom justice has been elusive: it is coming. God notices it all, and He will repay in full.

Praises

  • I had a really good time in Memphis and got to reconnect with a lot of people that I haven't seen in a long time. It was very encouraging to see everyone from Dad's church and from my church. I love me some McClures!
  • I had a very smooth journey back to Canada. The flights went very well, my luggage arrived with me, and I had no trouble with customs. My awesome supervisors picked me up, took me to dinner, and took me to the grocery store so I could fill my fridge. 
  • God provided for me in some neat ways in Memphis, and it was a blessing to be with my family and to receive their love and generosity.

Prayer Requests

  • In some ways I'm more emotionally tired now than I was before I went. Pray for refreshing and renewal in my spirit.
  • I told a friend the other day that I really felt like I'd be okay if I didn't have to get to know another new person ever again. Pray for excitement to see who God brings into my life and grace to invest in other people.
  • Please pray for divine appointments. Pray for me for boldness, wisdom, and creativity in communicating the gospel. Pray that I would be sensitive and obedient to the Holy Spirit.
  • Please pray for people to have open hearts to receive the gospel, for open doors to share it, and for open windows of heaven to pour out blessing on the work.
  • Pray for my health. I came back with a pretty fierce head cold, and I feel nasty.
Thank you so much for your prayers,
-Jennifer

No comments: