5.09.2006

It ain't easy...


I've been spending as much time as possible with C and the kids on account of my impending graduation, which... I hope it's profitable, but I don't really know. There's a lot to be explained, but let it suffice for right now that I need someone to stand in the gap for me.

Further, I've been going walking almost every night, trying to be consistent, yani? And I've felt recently like I just didn't know what to pray. Everything's in a muddle. C's mom got fired on Friday and they have a grand total of eighty dollars now, which isn't good. So I'm praying that God will provide, but it's just frustrating to see these people who give and give, and they so rarely seem to see anything happen with it. I dunno. It seems like other people are going through these genuine crises, and I just don't know what to do, or how exactly to pray.

In actual news, last week on Saturday I had the great privilege of taking part in the Global Night Commute, in which I and about seventy other Union kids spent the night outside on the pavement in support for the "invisible children" of northern Uganda, who trek miles every night to find a safe place to sleep so they will not be kidnapped and impressed into the LRA's army of child soldiers. It was a beautiful thing: that night we had nearly tornadic weather in Jackson, with the trees whipping around in the wind and the rain blasting the roof in sheets (we were fortunate to have a roof). I haven't really heard about anything happening after GNC, but I hope something will come of it. Wrote a letter to GWB and another to Bill Frist, so let's hope they listen to the voice of the people.

Last week, Thursday, I pretended to be a junior and participated in Midnight Mudness. Maybe it wasn't my smartest move, but these are my last weeks of college, so I'm going for the gusto. I hadn't slept the night before, because I was writing my last college paper ever (eeee!), and I ended up staying up till pretty late that next night, not least because it took me a good hour to get the mud off of me. Did you know that your ears can hold a surprising quantity of mud? Because they so can. But it was a good experience. I got to play tug of war, Red Rover, and Chinese freeze tag. You wouldn't think, looking at me, that I'm tough, but I was hardcore that night. I was totally covered in mud, and everyone said I looked rather frighteningly tribal (likely because C and I went around screaming, "WITH YOUR SHIELD OR ON IT!" at top volume), and I had some beautiful, mud-inspired dredlocks. I was glad to be able to hang out with so many of the kids. I'm going to miss them.

Saturday I got to go to this cookout thing at a park I've never been to before (Muse Park--it's gorgeous, and I totally wish I had discovered it earlier in my college career). We ate hamburgers (which Hardcore Walter flipped with a machete--yessss), hot dogs, and all the other good picnic fixin's, including grilled oatmeal cream pies. Who knew? But they get really good and gooey when you roast 'em over charcoal. Then we went walking in the woods, and we played frisbee.

Hopefully tonight the klemata group's hanging out. Our fearless leader hasn't called me yet, but a girl can dream, right?

Anyhow, Amira, if you're out there, I miss you, and I'm praying for you. Be strong. The time is so short.

No comments: